We are always looking for talented freelancers, fill out our handy form and be in our database. Please only check boxes for roles you have experience and work samples for.
Some immediate and specific freelance roles we are looking for at the moment are listed below. The links below take you to brief descriptions for each role and application forms for each position. Thank you!
Hornet is seeking a full time Art Director to join the team in New York, NY. The Art Director must be meticulous, have the ability to communicate proactively, manage time accordingly based on each project’s specifications & resources, with passion, enthusiasm and the ability to technically & creatively realize the Director’s vision. The Art Director must be creatively driven, well versed in executing various design styles based on Directors’ creative direction, have the ability to adapt to creative trends, explore & create new styles & techniques.
• Bachelor (4-Year) degree with a degree in Fine Arts, such as Illustration, Motion / Graphic
Design, or Film.
• Proven work experience as a Designer with at least 5 years in the commercial industry with at
least 3 years of Art
• Extensive experience with digital technology and software packages (e.g. Adobe Creative
Cloud including Adobe
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, and Maxon C4D.)
• Experience with color, lighting, special effects, 3D concept work, developing transitions and
• Experience with AR/VR software and hardware including interactive 360 a plus Print and Digital
• Creative mind with strong storytelling skills
• Overall positive attitude, demeanor, that will contribute to a collaborative studio environment
• Desire to learn and discover new techniques through R&D
• Ability to take direction and feedback from Directors, Producers, in partnership with the Leads
• Keen eye for detail and a critical mind, with patience and concentration
• High level of self-motivation, commitment and dedication
• Strong organizational, time management and communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines, on multiple projects at any given time
• Maintain studio standards and work within studio pipeline
Responsibilities include and not limited to:
• Take direction from Executive team, Directors, Producers, and work with Leads
• Conceptualize and design for pitches and production
• Create concept and production art based on creative briefs, execute design work for 2D, 3D,
Stop Motion animation, Motion Graphic and Print projects which may include typography,
character design, matte paintings and photo real composites
• Work with Director and creative team to provide and develop design solutions
• Create, design, and animate when necessary
• Create templates, toolkits, pitch books and bibles
• Responsible for keeping an open line of communication with the design and creative
development team, working with the team to solve problems as they arise, and bringing related
issues to the Head of Production if additional assistance is required. Coordinate monthly &
weekly meetings / point person for design team for workflow, scheduling, job progress and
other issues / team building
• Work with designers to communicate creatively and efficiently with directors and clients to
produce the highest level of visual production on projects using the best available talent and
• Work closely with head of production, exec. producer, producers, directors and leads to help
strategize and plan out needs for pitches, inquiries and current projects
• Participate in kickoffs, check in on projects as they progress and review with team as the
project finalizes (as needed), streamline and conform practices and workflows with other
Our growing team at Hornet is looking for a freelance Pipeline TD to help with a variety of tasks related to artist efficiency and workflow. Pipeline TDs are responsible for writing and maintaining tools for use on high end visual effects films. Pipeline TDs are required to work closely with the VFX Supervisor, department Leads.
• Writing pipeline tools and further developing the pipeline for use across Hornet projects
• Working in collaboration with the CG Supervisors and end users to determine the best solutions
• Once a solution has been agreed then ensure that it addresses end user and show requirements as briefed
• Maintaining of tools including troubleshooting and optimization
• Thorough documentation of all development and updating as necessary
• Ongoing research to recommend improvements to workflows in order to improve productivity or communication
• Experience with asset management system development, distributed rendering and UI design
• Experience with Developing for multiple OS based users
• Strong Python and .Net/C# skills.
• Experience using Mongo/SQL or similar databases.
• Experience developing for a 3D application such as Maya or Houdini
• Problem solving abilities
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• The ability to prioritize production needs and tasks
• Detail oriented with a strong ability to multitask
• A good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting through to compositing
• A general understanding of networking and performance issues that arise with automated tools
• Ability to work with non-technical artists
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to juggle multiple priorities
• The ability to analyze and prioritize production needs and tasks
• Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines
Experience developing for other applications such as Nuke & Shotgun
A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other relevant area of study and/or equivalent job experience
Must be able to work in the US and work in house at our NYC studio
Hornet is always looking for an army of compositors to help our animation production team with upcoming projects.
AE and Nuke
Hornet is looking for an army of motion designers who work specifically in C4D. We need both people who are specialized at modeling only and also generalists so can do everything from modeling and animating to lighting, and rendering.
Must know C4D.
Hornet is looking for some assistant editors to help us with the upcoming busy season. The responsibilities are to
work along side the staff editors, producers and production teams on editorial jobs, from creating animatics with music, sound design & VO, rough cuts, sales and reference videos, managing assets and renders, and converting files for postings. The assistant editor is an integral part of the edit team and must be detail oriented.
*Perform duties as an assistant editor for edit team, producers and production teams on editorial jobs. From creating animatics with music, sound design & VO, rough cuts, sales and reference videos, managing assets and renders, converting files for postings -- the assistant editor is an integral part of the edit team and must be detail oriented.
*Administrate and maintain the edit, sound FX, PR, and reel libraries.
*Work closely with the Development Producer, and the Operations Manager for any and all editorial needs for their specific projects, such as shooting & creating behind-the-scenes videos, spec videos, creating festival submission, production asset management, backup & archiving, etc.
*Instruct and enforce studio production workflow standards to production crew.
*Perform duties as an on-set script coordinator depending on the type of project.
*Perform production assistant duties for on-set & offsite projects.
*Working on animated projects and working closely with the Director and Producer; may also include motion tests and pitch books.
*Research and keep up-to-date in industry production standards, software, and hardware related specifically to editing & compositing.